Easter Brunch Recipes from Sub-Zero Wolf Chef Garth
Just in time for Easter, Chef Garth from Sub-Zero and Wolf Houston has sent us three of his sure-fire favorites, perfect for brunch. These recipes feature the fresh flavors of spring, so grab your tote bag and head to the nearest store or farmers market!
All recipes courtesy of Executive Chef Garth Blackburn. The Sub-Zero & Wolf Showroom Houston is located at 2800 Sage Rd.
Springy Chilled Soup with Wasabi Whip – serves 6-8
You’ll need: One (1) Texas leek, rinsed and chopped up to the dark green; three (3) spring onions, rinsed and chopped, including greens; four (4) cloves of garlic, sliced or chopped; four (4) slices of bacon, chopped; one (1) pound shelled English or Spring peas; one (1) bunch parsley, pulled from stems.
- Sautee bacon until crisp and remove from pan; add leek and garlic to bacon drippings and cook until soft
- Boil water and blanch peas for 2-3 minutes; shock in ice water to stop cooking
- Blanch spinach and parsley for 30 seconds; shock in ice water to stop cooking
- Puree all ingredients; adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with bacon crisps, jumbo lump crab, and whipped cream with lemon zest, herbs, and garlic
Smashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic – serves 6
You’ll need: Two (2) pounds Yukon Gold potatoes; one (1) head of garlic with the top half-inch cut off; one (1) cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk; two (2) tablespoons of butter; six (6) ounces Mascarpone cheese; olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat Wolf oven to 300°F convection. Place garlic head on a foil-lined pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper; cook for 45-60 minutes.
- Place potatoes in perforated Wolf steamer insert. Place insert in Wolf steamer and add enough water to cover; turn on high and cook until the knife easily slides through the potato, then drain.
- Let garlic cool slightly. Squeeze roasted garlic into a bowl with the cooked potatoes.
- “Smash” potatoes and garlic together with cream, butter, and cheese.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste; add more cream if necessary to adjust consistency.
Beef Short Rib – serves 6
You’ll need: Two (2) pounds boneless beef short ribs; one (1) sweet yellow onion, diced; one-half cup baby carrots; three (3) cloves garlic; one (1) cup dry red wine, reduced by half on Wolf burner; one (1) cup fire-roasted tomatoes, diced; three (3) cups beef stock; one (1) teaspoon demi-glace paste.
- Preheat Wolf steamer to 200°F
- Season ribs with salt and pepper; sear in solid Wolf steamer insert on medium heat on Wolf gas burner
- Remove beef from pan; add onion, carrots, and garlic, and sautée for 5-8 minutes
- Add wine; boil for five minutes
- Add tomatoes, stock, and demi-glace; return beef to pan
- Place steamer insert into steamer; cook until tender, 6-10 hours