Hoods: The Secret Kitchen Hero
Admit it – it’s more fun shopping for the range and oven than it is the hood, but guess what? The hood is the secret hero of your kitchen, so choose wisely! We have tips and suggestions on how to shop for the best range hood for your kitchen.
How to Choose a Range Hood
Let’s talk about the practical considerations of choosing a range hood:
- SIZE: Bigger is better when it comes to the range hood. Designers recommend your hood measure 3-6” wider than your cooking surface;
- VENTS: Ductless hoods take smoke and odors and disperse them throughout the house, which makes venting the hood to the outside of your home preferable—there is nothing worse than a screaming smoke alarm and a smelly house!
- POWER: A weak hood won’t keep up with a powerful cooktop—match power with power.
Over-the-Range Microwave Hood
There are excellent over-the-range microwave options, however you are exchanging some power and efficiency for space-saving. If possible, opting for a range hood will provide the most effective and efficient ventilation.
More Designer Tips for Choosing a Hood
Keep in mind these “designers’ secrets”—a few additional things to remember when choosing a range hood:
- Placement against a wall gets better capture and is aesthetically pleasing, otherwise perspective will make a same-size hood look smaller than the cooktop;
- Placement against the wall is also preferable for cooking enthusiasts who spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Mounting the hood against the wall keeps a giant vent out of the middle of the room, where downdrafts don’t work out so well;
- People naturally gather around the kitchen island when you’re entertaining and proper ventilation keeps things cool and safe for guests.