Plan Your Memorial Day Party
If you’re hosting family and friends this Memorial Day weekend, be prepared with some of our favorite entertaining tips. When it comes to outdoor entertaining, the K&N Sales team has plenty of experience! Here are a few grilling and cocktail ideas to help you please the crowd.
Whether you’re cooking on charcoal or gas, with your brand-new grill or your trusty old smoker, make sure you’re ready to cook for a crowd on Memorial Day weekend with a few simple tips:
- Save time with smart do-ahead preparations like marinating meat, or stick with easy summer staples (hot dogs, hamburgers) if you’re short on time;
- Grilled vegetables are delicious, and will make your vegetarian friends happy! Shop your favorite Houston-area farmers market for seasonal produce. (We love grilled peaches for dessert, too!)
- Did you know appliance manufacturers often have their own recipe development teams, including chefs? We love to check out the latest recipes from the Green Egg, Viking range, and Sub-Zero/Wolf, among others.
Mix It Up: Cocktail Hour
When you’re planning the dinner menu don’t forget to include a cocktail or two! Mixing up a punch that guests can serve themselves means less time mixing drinks and more time for entertaining. Outdoor refrigeration—including keg dispensers and wine storage—make outdoor entertaining a breeze, while ice makers keep the cocktails flowing without interruption. Imagine--no more running to the store for bags of ice!
For the Kids
Make sure you have a few games to keep the kids (and the adults) entertained—volleyball, lawn bocce, and corn hole are fun for everyone. Make a custom “mocktail” for the kids, too—they’ll love having a special drink just for them. Is your party outdoor and/or poolside? Remember to stock up on bug spray, kids’ sunscreen, aloe vera, and hand sanitizer.
Memorial Day in Houston
If you want to get out and about in Houston over Memorial Day Weekend, check out the following events:
- “Dancin’ in the Street” Motown Review at Miller Outdoor Theater in Hermann Park—This is one of the city’s most popular free shows of the year, and this year features an all-new Stevie Wonder tribute.
- Head downtown to see the Houston Astros play the Baltimore Orioles at Minute Maid Park.
- The Woodlands’ Annual Memorial Day Festival is on Sunday, May 27, and includes live music and a fireworks display at 8:55 p.m.—BYO blankets and lawn chairs!