Turn Up the Heat in Your Outdoor Kitchen (Summer Outdoor Kitchen Series Part 4)
Choosing appliances for your outdoor kitchen will inform every other decision you make in terms of size, layout, and logistics. Selecting a grill is in and of itself a big decision (gas or charcoal—or both?), but for a full-service entertainment space, you’ll want to consider everything from ovens to burners to warming drawers.
Outdoor Appliances: Do’s and Don’ts
We’ve seen a few common misconceptions and mistakes cost clients time and money. When you’re choosing outdoor appliances, keep the following in mind:
- Do: Remember to ask about proper ventilation. Just because you’re outside doesn’t mean your cooking area is properly ventilated.
- Don’t: Forget to account for things like workspace, and holding dishes at temperature.
- Do: Research the top outdoor appliance brands and compare ratings and reviews.
- Don’t: Try running plumbing and electrical yourself—hire an expert.
- Do: Consider things like sun, shade, drainage, and wind when deciding on grill placement. Not only do these factors affect your enjoyment, they also impact safety.
- Don’t: Be afraid to ask questions! The K&N Sales staff includes cabinet and appliance specialists and factory-certified installers who can help answer your questions.
Shopping for Grills
A K&N Sales appliance specialist can help walk you through our selection of trusted brands of outdoor appliances. You’ll recognize names like Viking and Sub-Zero/Wolf, and we carry several other high-end brands of outdoor appliances like DCS Outdoor Kitchens. When it comes to choosing a grill, there’s more than meets the eye. Consider:
- Do you want charcoal or gas, or both?
- Do you want a free-standing grill or a built-in?
- Do you need to make room for additional burners so you can cook for a crowd, or prepare multiple courses at once?
Buy the Brand
Stop in to K&N Sales to take a closer look at any of our brands of outdoor appliances. You can also check out the manufacturer websites to learn more:
- You’ll find Wolf BBQ grills in four models (in natural gas or LP) and come freestanding or built-in; optional carts in multiple sizes (30”, 36”, 42”) are also available. You can complete your outdoor kitchen with one or more 30” warming drawers. (They can also double as towel-warmers—brilliant.)
- Fans of Viking appliances will gravitate toward the company’s line of outdoor appliances, including grills, warming carts and cabinets, and ventilation. Adding warming drawers increases versatility, and reduces trips back to the primary kitchen.
- Versatile, durable, and thoroughly customizable, DCS outdoor appliances can help you update an existing outdoor kitchen, or bring a brand-new design to life. Need to grill on the go? Check out DCS’s portable grill carts.
We’re going to cool things down in our ongoing Outdoor Kitchen Summer Series, so check back next week for more tips for designing your outdoor kitchen, and stay connected with K&N Sales on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Houzz.